A couple of years ago, in the movie “Ugly Dolls,” Kelly Clarkson and Janelle Monáe sang “Unbreakable.” I watched it with my granddaughter, who was mesmerized as they belted out an amazing message. That song’s lyrics contain such a powerful illustration of determination and willpower and can certainly be applied to the challenges all of us experience in living our healthiest lives. Consistently doing what we need to succeed is incredibly difficult. We sometimes get mentally tired from the effort to stay focused.
As we watched the movie, I recalled an article written a few years earlier by Jeff Haden. He discussed “8 Habits of People with Amazing Determination and Willpower” — all of which were echoed in this song that affected Maddie and me!
- Learn from your past. Then, let it go. All of us make mistakes. We can certainly learn critical life lessons from them, but we do not need to berate ourselves for fouling up.
- Own your successes as well as your failures. You can control yourself. It isn’t so much a matter of luck as it is a matter of being prepared to take advantage of an opportunity to succeed.
- Let go of what you cannot control. Don’t waste your precious energy on such things. You are only human and cannot do it all!
- Celebrate the success of others and learn from them. Rather than resenting their success, ask for the help and advice of those who are succeeding.
- Don’t whine and complain. Use your energy to change what you can to make things better. Don’t squander it on bemoaning the situation.
- Hang out with those who uplift and encourage you to go where you hope to be. Don’t waste energy trying to impress others with what you have.
- Set up reminders of why you want to reach your goals. Tremendous energy is required to maintain focus, and mental fatigue makes us vulnerable. The journey can be tiring. Make a plan to keep the prize front of mind.
- Count your blessings, not your shortcomings! Feeling better about yourself is the best way of all to recharge your mental batteries.
“Nothing’s far when one wants to get there.” — Queen Marie of Romania
I Care, Barb
By Ruth Singer October 15, 2021
Thank you Barb
I have had surgery six months ago and now I realize that I have gained all my weight back and then some Your blog came at the right time to put me back on track to start watching what I am now eating
By Donna ferguson October 15, 2021
Very uplifting messages always looking for next one.
By May October 15, 2021
By Virginia October 15, 2021
Wonderful message thankyou Barb.
By Charlotte Larson October 16, 2021
By Nancy Nowak August 16, 2021
Lovely beautiful messages here, we all need reminded of the most common sense things we seem to forget about as we struggle to reach goals.
By Stephanie Millard July 26, 2021
Barb I am the new Leader of our Chapter and we are all struggling to stay motivated. As I was looking for some help with our next weeks meeting I came across your blog. Thank you so much it was just what I needed to go back to our meeting and hopefully motivate our chapter.
By Tamson Darland June 7, 2021
Absolutely Absolutely Absolutely
Thank you so much Barb for this wonderful article.
By Mary Frances Fielder June 7, 2021
By Heather McLean June 7, 2021
Great Blog again Barb
I DO read these every Monday even though I do not always comment.
Keep them coming xxx