Every summer, I plant tomatoes and the sequence typically goes something like this:
Early June: Plant two to three tomato plants.
June – July: Worry tomatoes aren’t getting enough water and/or that they’ll get ruined in a storm (I currently have them in freestanding planters).
Late July: Get excited about the very first tomato!
Late August: Get sick of tomatoes and feel completely over them.
After consistently hefty water bills from a dry summer, and the blossom rot two out of three of the plants suffered while I was away on vacation, I’m probably better off just spending a few dollars on tomatoes at the store. Gardening just doesn’t seem to be my thing. If planting tomatoes is your thing, or if you just have a ton of them at the moment, here are twenty ideas for using one of summer’s favorite red fruits.
- Toss with feta cheese, watermelon and diced cucumber for a side.
- Use one in place of a hamburger bun as a low-carb alternative.
- Enjoy them with a pinch of kosher salt. Simple and delicious.
- Top with parmesan cheese and roast.
- Add to a frozen pizza.
- Slow roast in the oven or food dehydrator.
- Add to a pasta dish.
- Pair them with your favorite herbs.
- Enjoy with rotisserie chicken, greens and your favorite salad dressing.
- Whip up pico de gallo.
- Add to grilled kabobs.
- Snack on them with cottage cheese.
- Toss with grilled shrimp, corn and cotija cheese.
- Top your burger along with red onions and avocado.
- Add to a breakfast sandwich.
- Stuff inside a grilled cheese or panini.
- Save for your favorite fall chili.
- Make a classic BLT sandwich using bread or a lettuce wrap.
- Serve with lemon-roasted chicken with wilted greens.
- Save for canning with a friend.
Don’t forget to tell me about your favorite way to use tomatoes in the comments!