The average adult spends the majority of his or her day at work. Even if your workday includes a trip to the gym afterwards, it’s the choices you make during the workday that can have a significant impact on your health and weight.
Taking action with small, simple steps throughout the day like the following:
- Set an alarm on your phone or computer to remind you to get up and move.
- Jot down what a typical day’s worth of tasks looks like. For example, you may write, “Answered emails from 10:00 to 11:30.” Next, jot down some ways you can plug in a little extra activity in between, or during, daily tasks.
- Pack healthy snacks in reusable plastic containers.
- Keep a water bottle handy and fill it often. Stand up and march in place or do lunges whenever the bottle is empty.
- Pack your own lunch every day. You’ll save money by skipping the drive-thru. A $5 fast food lunch once a week adds up to $260 in a year!
- Set your own “food rule” such as “no eating at the desk” or “no trips to the vending machine” to help keep healthy habits top of mind.
Keeping a resistance band nearby is another simple way to sneak in extra activity throughout the day. Check back on Wednesday, March 26, for resistance band exercises you can do right at your desk. Have a happy, healthy workday!