Real People. Real Weight Loss.®

Helping Millions to Take Off Pounds Sensibly Since 1948.

Wellness Wednesday

The 3 Truths for Keeping Your Healthy Goals Going Strong

“People often say motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.”
— Zig Ziglar

This popular Zig Ziglar quote holds especially true this time of year when the New Year’s resolution “honeymoon period” is starting to wear off. If your motivation is starting to taper, you’re not alone. An article in the Wall Street Journal, featured earlier this year, shared that check-ins on Facebook to facilities with “gym” or “fitness” in the name drop 10% in February. The good news is there are certain truths you can keep in mind to help keep goals realistic and healthy habits going strong.

Truth # 1: You won’t always feel like working out. Lately, I feel like I sometimes have the words “I don’t want to go” playing on repeat in my head on my way to the gym … and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. The important thing is to show up and do what you can even if you’re unable to give 100 percent. Any activity is better than no activity and you’re not likely to say, “Gee, I really regret working out today.”

Truth # 2: An occasional splurge is okay. Part of why some health-related New Year’s Resolutions are doomed from the get-go is because we tend to demand nothing short of perfection from ourselves. Then, if we splurge on cheese fries or gain weight after the weekend, we beat ourselves up and throw in the towel on our goals. One indulgence is not going to cause you to gain weight. You may find it helpful to follow the 80/20 rule of choosing healthy options 80 percent of the time and leaving 20 percent for a little wiggle room.

Truth # 3: You’re in this for the long haul. In order for healthy goals to turn into habits, we have to make sure we’re doing something that we enjoy and can commit to long term.

Motivation, like most things in life, has its ups and downs. Just remind yourself of why your goals are important to you, accept that you are human and no one is perfect, and know that every day is a fresh start.

This entry was posted in Lifestyle, Motivation. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to "The 3 Truths for Keeping Your Healthy Goals Going Strong"