There’s been a lot of buzz about non-scale victories lately and for good reason. Broadening your focus beyond what the scale reads is one way to stay motivated on your journey. Think about your last frustrating face-off with the scale. Did it leave you feeling empowered or defeated? While this number can motivate us to work harder, it may also leave us feeling like all of our hard work throughout the week didn’t pay off. That’s why it’s so important to not let one number define your success.
With the holidays right around the corner, take some time to jot down three to five non-scale victories (NSVs) you can celebrate. These are different for everyone but may include:
- Hitting the gym at least three times in a week
- Reaching a daily step goal
- Dedicating half of your Thanksgiving plate to vegetables
- Meal prepping once a week
- Feeling calm and at peace with your food choices
- Skipping the snooze button on your alarm during the week
- Crushing your daily water goal
- Trying one new lighter version of a holiday recipe
The scale and I have had a rocky relationship lately and have been taking some time apart. But whenever I check into the gym on my fitness app, I feel energized and happy. Watching this number climb to my monthly goal of 12 keeps me motivated even when I’ve splurged on my favorite sugary coffee drink. The scale is still an important measure of health. After all, more than 70% of new members come to TOPS for the accountability of the scale and weekly meetings. Just don’t let it be your only measure of success. Scales don’t tell your full tale.
What non-scale victories will you be focusing on over the holidays?